Monday, May 19, 2008



Intoxication, Birthdays and Macs..


Intoxication reminds me of sherbet lemon. In hot days they are extremely useful but in excess it’s a trifle grating on the sensibilities.

What Doogie called the journal we call the blog. As part of my 31st Birthday Resolution, I have decided to only deal in fact and rid my blog of fiction, hence please ignore the pseudo beginning.

My peripheral knowledge of psychology has taught me that it is my misfortune that I am not mad. There are basically just two kinds of us, the Mads and the Nomads. My misfortune is that I populate the latter. Though sometimes my life reminds me of the jungle book, it’s so wild, deeming, maybe I do have the eye to see the myriad designs in the kaleidoscope where the gods worship the demons. That is the surrealist intoxication of all.

One windy January night, we were walking down a serpentine road, enveloped in the cold Delhi mist, taking puffs from our cigarettes in spite of the mind-numbing chill. The smell of the winter night bringing with it more nostalgia than the beef kebab rolls of Nizam’s, as our noses watered with cold. We were all suitably spiked in individually preferred ways and we were all missing something, someone or some time. Years later I went back to that road and missed the night we were all walking. In Time, Past is always the present, while the Present becomes passé and life remains sepia tinted forever. Devoid of colors.

Another December midnight, I was standing next to a roadside eatery. The days soiled utensils were being cleaned, flour kneaded for the next morning, the leftover food stylized to look fresh the next day. The radio played in the background, “Bodo Aka laage…ei andhaarey..” The workers: undisturbed yet mildly acknowledging the soothing sounds of the song. The moment personified, eternal, ephemeral Kolkata at her most intimate. I hung on to it, memorizing the moment before everything transmogrified into the real image of Dorian Gray.

I repeat, I have decided to only deal in fact and rid my blog of fiction, hence please ignore the abovementioned.

Profoundest fact of all: Mood is seen to be directly proportional to the bowel, it lightens in tandem!

1 Comments:

Blogger Shreyasi Deb said...

I came back after a long time and am glad to find you writing again...
I can sense the wintry Delhi night and andhaar raat-e Kolkata. It is like a painting

8:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home